Professional, highly organized, excellent attention to detail, high degree of ethics, and excellent communication skills - if this sounds like you, PEI Mutual Insurance Company would love to hear from you!
PEI Mutual Insurance Company was founded over 137 years ago. With roots in our Island's primary resources, we're proud to be PEI's largest property and casualty insurer. We currently employ 59 dedicated team members who collectively contribute over 630 years of experience and expertise to our great Island company!
Position Overview: Reporting to the Manager, Finance & Administration, the Controller is a senior member of our accounting team responsible for closely monitoring the Company's financial health. A strong communicator and skilled financial analyst, you'll be responsible for providing comprehensive updates to senior management by evaluating, analyzing, and reporting on appropriate financial and operating data. Additionally, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining internal control policies and procedures and monitoring day-to-day accounting processes.
What you'll do:
- A 37.5-hour work week
- A beautiful, safe, spacious and respectful work environment
- Paid vacation, generous sick and medical leave benefits
- Dental, health, and vision care benefits paid by the company
- One of PEI's best defined-contribution pension plans (RRSP) matched by the company
- Various employee well-being initiatives and wellness challenges
- Insurance education and development opportunities
- The opportunity to work with an inspiring team of co-workers
- Plan, direct and coordinate all accounting operational functions
- Monitor and evaluate internal controls on an ongoing basis
- Ensure regulatory compliance as required
- Prepare and analyze monthly financial statements and reports
- Ensure data integrity within all financial reporting throughout the organization
- Coordinate and oversee all month-end and year-end close procedures
- Engage with external auditors to coordinate year end cut-off procedures
- Oversee and execute accounting activities including AP, AR, journal entries and payroll
- Hire, onboard, supervise, train, coach, support, and develop both Accounting and Administration Team
- Design, develop, implement, and evaluate processes, policies and procedures
- Provide HR support and other administrative duties as required
- Post-secondary education in Business, Accounting, or related discipline
- A professional Accounting designation (CPA), would be considered an asset
- Minimum 5 year's experience in a senior accounting role
- Proficiency working with agile accounting and financial database systems
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- A high standard of ethical and professional behavior
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Previous experience in supervising direct-report staff
- Your values align with PEI Mutual's core values:
- We listen and respond to our members' needs;
- We behave with integrity;
- We treat each other with dignity and respect;
- We support, motivate and engage our talent;
- We continuously improve and innovate;
- We give back to the local communities we serve; and
- We are accountable collectively and individually.
Our positive culture is important to us! If you are highly people-focused and look forward to adding to our culture, please send your resume outlining your experience for consideration.
Salary Range: $80,000 - $100,000 annually, depending on skills and years of experience.
This is a one-year position, with the possibility of extension. Apply in confidence to: Controller Position by Friday, March 10, 2023.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.