Job Opportunity: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Are you passionate about empowering, developing, and leading people through change? PEI Mutual Insurance Company is seeking an experienced leader to navigate the organization through upcoming important transformations in a highly people-centered way, while positioning the company for future success amid evolving market needs.
PEI Mutual Insurance Company is the largest property and casualty insurer on Prince Edward Island. Owned by its policyholders, PEI Mutual puts people above profit; there are no shareholder interests to detract from the needs of its members. PEI Mutual provides insurance services through personal contact and home visits, by people who live and work in the same communities as the policyholders they serve — this is the Mutual Advantage.
PEI Mutual has been an integral part of the Island community, socially and economically, for more than 136 years. With this long history, the company has developed an incredibly strong reputation and a dedicated, tight-knit workforce. The company employs just under 50 staff members, with the majority working out of the head office in Summerside, and agents located in the regions they serve across the island.
Deeply rooted in its communities, PEI Mutual is a financially successful and stable company that takes pride in giving back and supporting many local charities and organizations.
Why is this role important?
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer of PEI Mutual must be a supportive leader and possess the skills to drive this member-focused organization to new heights. They must not only demonstrate the ability to effectively manage the performance of the organization, but also cultivate the growth and development of the business and the people who help it to run effectively.
The CEO has the overall responsibility for the leadership, strategic direction, and management of the business results of the company. Working closely with the Board of Directors and the senior management team, you will ensure that the company establishes appropriate objectives and manages its resources to meet these goals accordingly.
- Provide executive level leadership and guidance to a cross-functional management team, including Agency, Loss Prevention, Underwriting, Claims, Customer Service, Finance, Information Technology, Marketing, and Human Resources. This means you will work collaboratively with other leaders in the organization, creating an environment where they can realize success and propel the organization forward.
- Oversee and monitor the day-to-day delivery of the company programs uncovering opportunities to maintain and improve quality of services.
- Gather, interpret, and communicate information to the Board of Directors about market trends and internal resources as they relate to enhancing the Board's capacity for effective decision-making and long-term planning.
- Lead the development and implementation of corporate policies and strategic planning to move the overall goals and objectives of the company forward.
- Foster a positive, supportive, and respectful organizational culture and ensure commitment at all levels to the mission, core values, and overall strategies of the company.
- Partner with the Board of Directors and the company's management team to grow, strengthen, and ensure the long-term sustainability of the company.
- Initiate and develop meaningful and productive relationships with clients, stakeholders, community sectors, government, non-profit organizations, and businesses.
- Represent the company as required, including attendance of important functions, industry events, and private/public meetings, as is appropriate.
- Oversee the management of the company's investment portfolio in accordance with the Board-approved Investment Policy Statement.
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Board of Directors.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business, Management or a related field with a preferred minimum of 10 years of experience in a senior leadership position; a professional designation would be considered an asset.
- Possess superior leadership skills required to empower, strategize, direct, develop, and inspire a senior management team.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex organization including reporting, budgeting, financial management, human resources, and policy development.
- Sound judgement, diplomacy, and decision-making abilities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills combined with the ability to build and maintain strong relationships with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Proven track record of successfully leading change initiatives and promoting innovation to meet competitive market needs.
- Strong work ethic and ability to foster teamwork and collaboration.
- Experience in the insurance industry, or related field, would be considered an asset.
This role requires an experienced, accountability-focused, hands-on leader. The successful candidate will have a transformational leadership style, able to foster a positive culture, build strong teams, and promote an appreciation for the values-based vision of PEI Mutual.
In this role, superior communication skills with the ability and willingness to actively listen and openly accept feedback from various perspectives will be key. The ability to coach, mentor, develop skills, and instill confidence and trust will be a cornerstone to the new CEO's success. The successful candidate will embody the philosophy of a mutual company and take the lead on engaging team members at all levels, striving to continuously improve the organization from both a financial and operational standpoint.
PEI Mutual's Core Values
PEI Mutual is guided by a set of core values that provide common ground and shared expectations for how the vision and mission are lived out within the company. All employees of PEI Mutual commit to living by these shared values, staying true to the principles they represent, and honouring the legacy from which they came - that is how the company has fostered a culture of trust and respect for over 136 years.
These are the core values that sets PEI Mutual apart:
- We listen and respond to our members' needs;
- We behave with integrity;
- We treat each other with dignity and respect;
- We support, motivate and engage our talent;
- We continuously improve and innovate;
- We give back to the local communities we serve; and
- We are accountable collectively and individually.
Do these values speak to you? If you are highly people-focused and success driven, looking to lead a pillar in the local community while bringing the value of strategic thinking, we want to hear from you.
Qualified applicants are asked to submit their resume and cover letter to
. Applications will be accepted no later than March 11, 2022. No phone calls please.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be given priority.
We appreciate all expressed interest in this position; however, only the candidates selected for interview will be contacted.